Aberdeen Downtown Art Project Call for Art 2024
Area artists of all ages and skill levels are invited to submit original artwork that reflects the following theme:
“South Dakota Landscapes.” Interpretation of this theme can be representational or non-objective. Submissions can be new or pre-existing artwork. Artwork submissions will be juried. The jurors will make selections using the artwork image and information (title, medium, year created). Selected artwork will be reproduced as a window cling that will be installed on Aberdeen downtown storefront windows. The window clings will be on display during the spring, summer and fall of 2024. Determined by the Aberdeen Downtown Art Project jurors, the top three artwork submissions will be awarded a cash prize. There is also a People’s Choice Award that will be determined during summer 2024. The Knight Foundation is a major supporter of this downtown art project, with the intent to enhance the appeal and vitality of downtown and the visibility of artists.
This call is open to residents of all ages and skill levels of the following counties in South Dakota: Brown, Campbell, Day, Edmunds, Grant, Marshall, McPherson, Roberts, Spink, and Walworth. Residents of Dickey County, North Dakota are eligible to submit artwork.
Entry Fee: Free to Enter
Contact email: email@example.com
Deadline to enter: Friday, March 1st, 2024
Site Specifications & Materials
If selected, the artist will be notified by email. There is no guaranteed compensation for selected artists. Compensation is limited to award recipients. The window clings become property of the Aberdeen Area Community Foundation. Cost of producing the window cling will be funded by the Aberdeen Downtown Art Project. The location of window clings will be determined by the Aberdeen Area Community Foundation and Aberdeen Downtown Art Project.
1) Individual or teams are allowed to submit up to 2 designs. An artist can have their name on a maximum of 2 entries.
2) Original designs only. Submissions can be new or preexisting artwork.
3) 2-Dimensional, 3-Dimensional, and digital art are accepted.
4) Artwork submissions should reflect the following theme, “South Dakota Seasons.” Designs can incorporate both theme topics or just one. Interpretation of this theme can be representational or non-objective.
5) Artwork submissions cannot contain any advertising, logos, copyrighted or trademarked items. Artwork submissions must not have any reference to drug, alcohol, and tobacco use or address any social issues.
6) Use of text, words, or phrases should be limited. Profanity is not allowed.
7) For selected artworks, the jurors reserve the ability to revise and negotiate final designs.
1) Submit one high-quality image per artwork. The file must be formatted as a PDF or JPG file, with preferred resolution of 300 dpi (dots per inch), the file size around 5 MB. If selected, the submitted image or file will be used to fabricate the window cling. Please make sure you submit the correct, high-quality artwork image.
2) Include the following information for each artwork submission: artwork title, medium, year created.
3)Tell us about your artwork submission! Brief statement explaining the artwork (maximum 100 words). One statement submitted per submission
4) Fill out and submit the contact information section on the last page. If submitting artwork via email, include contact information in the email.
Art submissions may be submitted by Email or in-person by 5:00pm Friday, March 1st, 2024
– Email submission can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
-To deliver submissions in-person, please contact Jason Hill at Aberdeen Area Arts Council (605) 226-1557 or email@example.com to schedule a time to drop-off submissions.
Artwork selections will be based on the following criteria:
1. Interpretation of theme
2. Execution of artwork
Determined by the Aberdeen Downtown Art Project jurors, the top three artwork submissions will be awarded the following cash prize amount:
– 1st Place: $200
– 2nd Place: $150
– 3rd Place: $100
An additional People’s Choice award of $100 will be awarded during the Spring of 2024 after the voting period. An Artist’s Reception is anticipated for Spring 2024 during which the top three artwork submissions and People’s Choice award will be announced.
The sale or lease of a building is beyond the Aberdeen Downtown Art Project’s control. The sale or lease of a building could affect the duration of an artwork. The Aberdeen Downtown Art Project reserves the right to remove a window cling from a window location at any time. Every effort will be made to notify an artist if an artwork is removed, however, it may happen without the Aberdeen Downtown Art Project’s knowledge.
Deadline to Enter: Friday March 1st, 2024
Acceptance Notification: March 15th, 2024
Install window clings: April 2024
For more information, and to view past participant art visit aberdeencommunityfoundation.com/aberdeen-downtown-artists-awarded-2/
The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy. For more information visit kf.org